Welcome

Sunday, May 8, 2011

BBC Learning English Answer Key

This week,I posted a question below:

My name is Janice, a student at English Department in Taiwan.

I would like to ask if the phrase" make love" has other meaning, asie from sexual intercourse? Thank you

This is the question raised by my teacher, who has been dead for two years in Wenzao. As I was a third grade student in junior college, Miss Chou, teacher of my translation class, asked all of us if the phrase"make love" has other meanings, aside from sextual intercourse. Therefore, I decide to search for the answer from BBC Learning English.
Here are the replies :



Posted by Jang (U14853995) on Tuesday, 3rd May 2011
I'm not a native speaker but here's my penny's worth: no, I can't think of any other interpretation other than that you have already mentioned. I would also add that there's a difference between two people making love and just having sex. Lovemaking usually implies an intimate and emotional relationship between the parties. HTH


Posted by AussieLexie (U13880784) on Tuesday, 3rd May 2011

In some old literature you will find the term 'make love' used to mean ‘carressing’ or ‘whispering words of love’; in other words activities that might be part of a courtship but not including sexual intercourse.

However, these days ‘to have sexual intercourse’ is the common usage.



The two relies above really make me realize that the phrase includes other mearning, apert from sextual intercourse. It seems like in the past time, the phrase indicates more about spiritual relationship and companion. However, nowadays, people prefer to refer the words as having sex, which is quite skin-deep and not well-educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment